Marinara Sauce

Everyone has their own tomato sauce recipe and their own opinions about how it should be cooked; here's mine. I like to keep things really simple and use high quality tomatoes, onion, carrots, garlic and basil. I don't think tomato sauce needs tomato paste or a million other ingredients. I also don't understand cooking the sauce all day either. I say cook it at least 1 hour but any more than 2 hours is silly. I also don't understand why people add water to tomato sauce if you are using canned tomatoes...it will just dilute the flavor, which isn't good.


2 large cans of San Marzano tomatoes (28 oz. each), pureed with a blender
1 large onion (diced fine)
3 carrots (peeled and diced fine)
3 cloves garlic (minced fine)
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. sugar
olive oil
large basil sprig (stem and some leaves)


Comments