Nana's Tomato Sauce

I got this recipe from my grandma who got this from an Italian friend. It's my favorite tomato sauce and I say this after making countless batches of tomato sauce. I've changed it slightly. In the original recipe they added pepper, sugar, parsley and Italian sausage. I don't but I have left them as optional items. Sugar is a controversial addition to tomato sauce because many people balk at the idea of adding it, thinking that it's un-Italian. I agree, only because the onions add enough sweetness in my opinion, but it's merely a matter of personal taste. I bake the Italian sausage in the oven at 400 degrees and serve it on the side. This recipe makes a lot of sauce so feel free to half it. Also, fresh basil would be a welcome addition near the end of cooking particularly if you don't have Italian sausage. The fennel in the sausage is very similar to the anise flavor of basil so I don't necessarily add it.

Reasons why this sauce is the best: the tomato paste makes it taste like it has been cooking all day, it also provides a good texture and makes the sauce a vibrant red color, plus using organic tomatoes will give you a high quality product. The water mellows out the concentrated tomato paste. The herbs and garlic give the sauce depth and flavor. The onions provide sweetness and savoriness (think umami).

2 onions (diced finely)
6 cloves garlic (minced, any green stem part removed)
4 T olive oil
2 28oz. cans of tomato sauce (preferably organic)
3 6oz. cans of tomato paste (preferably organic)
3 cups water
1 ½ tsp oregano (dried and crushed between palms of hands)
12 sprigs of fresh thyme (or 1 1/2 tsp dried)
1 tsp kosher salt

optional ingredients:
¼ tsp pepper
2 tsp sugar
4 T fresh parsley
Italian sausage

Saute the onions in olive oil until translucent. Add garlic and saute about one minute, stirring to avoid burning. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, oregano, thyme and salt. Simmer covered for about 40 minutes.

Comments