Ancho Chili Rubbed Flank Steak with Garlic-Lime Chimichurri

I wanted to make carne asada and there's a million recipes out there. Most of them say to marinade for hours or overnight in citrus and soy sauce. I tried something like that and it tasted like beef jerky. Also, soy sauce burns easily. Ancho chili powder is pricey but it's worth it.

Out of frustration, I made up my own recipe, which I'll say is damn good for a Polish, gringo like me. Instead of marinating, I drape a chimichurri sauce over the meat after it is cooked.


flank steak

grapeseed oil

Spice rub:

ancho chili powder

smoked paprika

ground cumin

fresh cracked pepper

kosher salt

Chimichurri:

1 clove garlic minced

1 tbsp lime juice

2 tbsp good olive oil (I like California Olive Ranch)

pinch of kosher salt

pinch of sugar


Sprinkle each of the spice rub ingredients over both sides of the meat - I don't measure. You want to salt fairly liberally. Spread a little grapeseed oil over the mix and massage into the meat. Let it sit for about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 400 F and heat a cast iron grill pan over high heat and cook the meat on one side for about 2 minutes. Flip and immediately put in the oven. For skirt steak it takes about 2 minutes in the oven for medium rare. Remove from grill pan and let the meat rest for at least 5 minutes or more.

Cut the meat against (perpendicular) the grain and spoon on some chimichurri.

Comments