Tomato, garlic and basil marinara sauce

 I got this from Lidia Bastianich, but I changed it slightly. 7 cloves of garlic is a little to much, so I lowered that to 5. Also, 1 cup of water is way too much. I only use 1/2 cup. I lowered the salt as well. It's excellent because it's simple. No onions, no tomato paste. Just tomato, garlic and basil.


28 oz can whole San Marzano (I use Cento brand)

5 or 6 cloves garlic (sliced thin)

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 tsp diamond kosher salt

1/4 water

1/8 tsp crushed red pepper

handful of basil leaves (roughly chopped)


Crush the tomatoes with your hands and add the salt.

Heat oil in a large skillet (don't use a sauce pan) over medium-low heat. Sauté the garlic briefly and don't let it brown. Add the salted tomatoes, water and crushed red pepper.

Let it simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened up. Add basil at the very end.

Comments